Perera Legal

Visit Canada

Except for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, all other individuals require permission to enter Canada as a visitor and require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an eTA (electronic Travel Authorization), unless they are US Citizens.

Frequently asked questions

1. Do I need TRV or ETA?

Citizens of visa-exempt countries intending to travel to Canada by air are expected to have applied for an obtained an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before their departure to Canada. 
​If you are NOT a citizen from a visa-exempt country, you WILL need a TRV to enter Canada.

2. What is a TRV and how to obtain one?

Individuals from Visa-required countries require a TRV visa in their passport before they are allowed to board a plane at an airport. The Canadian government has placed many countries on a non-visa exempt list to ensure individuals are screened properly before being permitted to travel to Canada.

The TRV visa application process is a lengthy one and can be complex depending on your personal and family situation. In many cases, legal arguments and comprehensive documents must be provided to strengthen and support the application. Many individuals do not understand the process and there is a high rate of refusal when an individual applies on their own.  After receiving a refusal, the individual has been flagged and any subsequent application must be as strong as possible in order to have any chance of approval.

3. Am I from a visa-required country?

Please click  here  to determine whether you need an ETA or TRV. 

4. How long does it take to process?

This varies on depending on your country of residence. 

5. How much money do we need to show?

There is no set amount of money that you are required to show. Generally speaking, you must show that you are able to financially support yourself and all accompanying family members during your stay in Canada. This includes accommodation, transportation, meals and other expenses. If you will be residing with a family member who is already living in Canada then you must submit sufficient documents to prove and support this.

Need Help?

Contact us for more information about coming to Canada.